Lung cancer is responsible for nearly one third of cancer related deaths worldwide. With the latest statistics showing that almost 160,000 people die each year from the disease, it is said that about 130,000 of those deaths alone are caused from smoking related lung cancer. To make matters worse, almost 3,500 of those deaths were caused by second hand smoke. If you are reading this, chances are you are a smoker, or you know someone who is a smoker. If you are a smoker, and you’ve tried to quit, you may be feeling frustrated, and you want practical ways that you can stop smoking. If you know someone who smokes, you no doubt want to help your friend or loved one stop smoking. Well, your days of feeling frustrated are over because here are 6 things to help you stop smoking.
1. When you think about quitting smoking, do you find yourself saying things like, “I’ll never be able to quit smoking,” or “Why is it so hard to stop smoking?” To stop smoking you need to develop a positive attitude regarding the subject. Most people can agree that saying daily affirmations is one of the most effective ways to reach your desired goal. When you say positive affirmations that state what you want the outcome of a situation to be, your subconscious mind goes to work to make it a reality. Every time you feel discouraged, and negative thoughts attempt to creep into your mind, the best way to shut them out and obtain your goal is to say something positive instead.
2. It is much easier to reach a goal when you have people supporting and encouraging you along the way. If you don’t want to join a support group, then it is a good idea to ask some reliable friends and family members to keep you accountable and to send you encouraging emails and texts throughout the day to make sure you are staying on track.
3. To stop smoking you need to set small goals instead of trying to conquer your addiction in one day. By giving yourself smaller goals, you will be more likely to see your big goal to through end. Every time you reach one of your small goals, you will feel accomplished and encouraged that you are just one step closer to fully quitting smoking.
4. Sometimes people find it difficult to quit smoking because they get bored. Instead of allowing boredom to cause you to lapse into your old habits, try to have gum, toothpicks or pretzels to chew instead of always having a cigarette in your mouth.
5. Another thing that can cause you to continue smoking is your circle of friends. If you only hang out with people who smoke, chances are you will never quit. To quit smoking you need to spend time with non-smokers. It will show you that you can still lead a normal life without smoking.
6. Is there something that you’ve wanted to buy but you never seem to have enough money for it? Since it is no secret that smoking is a waste of money, consider starting a “quit smoking” savings fund. Instead of buying cigarettes, take the money and put into your piggy bank. Once you’ve saved a considerable amount, buy the item you’ve been saving to buy.
Follow those tips and it will help you stop smoking.